POWER QUALITY ANALYSIS AND ENERGY AUDIT
Power Quality variations such as momentary interruptions, voltage sags, switching transients and harmonic distortions can impact customer operations, causing equipment damages and significant costs in lost production and down time
The substantial growth in the number of electronic devices equipped with rectifiers and smoothing reactors being used in recent years has resulted in a significant change in the types of load being driven by today’s power distribution systems. Also the equipment in the system creates quality problems in the electrical system. So, the current drawn from the power system is significantly distorted from the sinusoidal waveform provided by the utility companies.
EPCS have the capability to measure and analyse the quality in the power system and provide customised solution plan for system improvement and also track performance indices.
Measurements are carried out by Class A POWER QUALITY ANALYSER in accordance with industry standards like on IEEE 519 / IEC 61000-4-30 and following activities will be carried out by EPCS.
- Industrial power quality monitoring
1. Energy and demand profiling with identification of opportunities for energy savings.
2. Harmonic evaluation to identify transformer loading concerns, resonance concerns, mal operation of equipment.
3. Voltage sag evaluation to identify sensitive equipment and possible opportunities for ride through solutions.
4. Power factor evaluation to identify proper operation of capacitor banks, resonance conditions etc.
5. Motor starting evaluation to identify switching problems, in rush current concerns etc.
b) Power System performance assessment
1. Equipment performance trends, correlation with system performance trends and identification of conditions that may need attention.
2. Voltage sag characterizing and assessment to identify the cause of Voltage sags and examining mitigation technique.
3. Capacitor switching monitoring to characterize switching transients.
4. Performance indices calculation and reporting for system performance bench marking and for prioritizing of system maintenance and improvement investment.
5. Capacitor performance assessment
6. Voltage regulator performance assessment
7. Transformer loading for loss of life, harmonic loading impacts etc.
8. Feeder load monitoring and predictive assessment of future loads.
After detailed study, customised solution including mechanically switched/ thyristor switched capacitors, LT/HT Automatic PF Control panel. Fixed and automatic Harmonic filters, Dynamic Reactive power compensator will be given to mitigate the risk.
An energy audit is an inspection, survey and analysis of energy flows for energy conservation in a building, process or system to reduce the amount of energy input into the system without negatively affecting the output(s).
With consistent demand to lower the expensive energy costs and move towards a sustainable future, Energy audit is required to be conducted periodically in the system to keep the bench mark.
EPCS can take up:
Energy management strategy and particular energy reduction programs can be organized and planned with reference to energy audit results.